Peppermint Ice Cream


I belong to a cookbook club that meets once a month at a local grocery store.  Each month we pick a theme, then make a dish to fit that theme.  We bring it to club, along with a copy of the recipe, taste everyone's dishes and then discuss the items we brought.

For the month of December we always do a cookie exchange.  This year I took Chocolate Turtle Thumbprint cookies.  I found this awesome recipe on Pinterest.  They were amazing, and Jason highly approved.


However, all of the members of cookbook club LOVE when I make ice cream.  They even told me I didn't have to bring cookies if I would make ice cream.  I decided to make a couple of different kinds that would fit in with the holiday season.  The first one was an Eggnog Ice Cream with a Hot Buttered Rum Sauce (http://www.themerchantbaker.com/desserts/egg-nog-ice-cream-hot-buttered-rum-sauce/)... and it was AMAZING.  I included the rum, but you could certainly use rum flavoring instead if you wanted.  

The second one I decided to make was a Peppermint Ice Cream.  (see recipe below).  It was creamy and delicious, minty and refreshing.....  If you are making this during the holiday season you might be able to find an ingredient that will save time.  It's called Candy Cane Crunch.  It's amazing and is a great time saver.  It also works great to make homemade peppermint bark.  





Peppermint Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1½ C whole milk
1½ C half and half
2 C whipping cream
1 ¼ C sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 tsp peppermint extract
¼ tsp salt
1 C crushed peppermint candy, divided
Red Food Coloring

Directions:
1.  Mix together milks.
2.  Add in sugar, salt, vanilla and peppermint extract
3.  Stir until sugar is dissolved
4.  Pour into ice cream maker add in 1/2 c. crushed candy cane.  
     (Reserve the remaining candy for garnish)
5.  Process according to ice cream maker directions
6.  Garnish with remaining candy when serving.  

Note:  I added a touch of red food coloring, to get a pretty pink color.  You can leave this out if you wish.  


Comments

Popular Posts