Soup's On !!!



We've been blessed with unseasonably warm weather (it's been 70+ degrees the last few days... in February!  What, the what?).  However, I have been in a soup kind of mood. My hubby and I recently went to dinner theatre with some friends and the soup that night was a creamy chicken and wild rice.  It was so warm and comforting and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.  I knew I had to make some to get it out of my head and into my stomach!

I knew there was a way to use my pressure cooker, so I started looking (of course) on Pinterest.  WOW!  There were so many recipes it was a bit overwhelming.  I read probably a dozen or so and in making this one I took little bits of inspiration from probably six different ones.  I hope you like it as much as the hubby and I did.  


-MamaFin





Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

INGREDIENTS:

3 T unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh sage, minced
1 T fresh thyme, minced
1 T ground black pepper
1 t salt
1/4- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper (I use 1/2t, but we like a little zip)
1 package, boneless chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized cubes
     (I use Air Chilled Chicken, it's my fav)
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups Wild Rice Blend (I use Rice Select, Royal Blend), uncooked
4 oz (1/2 package) cream cheese, cubed in small cubes
2 T corn starch
2 T water
1 c heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Set Pressure cooker to Saute and melt butter in pot.  
2.  Add onions, carrots and celery and saute until softened.
3.  Add garlic, sage, thyme, black pepper, salt and red pepper.  
4.  Then saute for 1-2 minutes more.
5.  Add chicken pieces and saute until golden on all sides.
6.  Pour in chicken broth.
7.  Stir in rice.
8.  Place lid on Pressure Cooker, then cook at High Pressure for 9 minutes.
9.  Let pressure naturally release for 4-5 minutes then release remaining pressure with quick release.  
10.  Reset Pressure Cooker to Saute
11.  Whisk together corn starch and water, then stir into pot.  
12.  Add cream cheese and stir to melt
13.  Stir in heavy cream and taste to see if you need more salt/pepper.


Comments

Popular Posts