Soup's On - Santa Fe Chicken Tortilla Soup



It's cold outside in Kansas.  Cold weather, winter, dreary days.... they make me crave soup.  I made soup on Tuesday while I was off work so Jason and I would have lunch for the next several days when we come home to let our doggy, Bohannon, out.  

I love a good Chicken Tortilla Soup.  They make it at all your favorite restaurants and each chef seems to have their own take on it.  This is my own take on the perennial favorite.  You know me and my love for all things Pressure Cooker.  I promise, I don't use it in every single meal, but almost.  I love using it for a portion of a recipe, especially when I can use it to save time.  In this recipe I use it to cook the chicken breasts.  If you don't have a pressure cooker you can absolutely roast the chicken breasts in the oven.  Just drizzle with a little olive oil and then rub with your seasoning and put into the oven at 350 and roast 25-30 minutes until done and the juices run clear.  Don't over cook your chicken, you want all of that juiciness for the soup!  

One more tip.... and I l-o-v-e this one.  You can shred the chicken with two forks, like normal, OR you can shred with your mixer.  Yep, that pinterest hack really works.  I cut the chicken breasts into smaller chunks and then put into a mixing bowl.  Take your hand mixer and turn on (low at first, you don't want to shoot chicken all over the kitchen) and "mix" the chicken to shred.  It's super simple and FAST.  LOVE!!!!

One other thing I have to tell you about.  Infused olive oils.  In this recipe I used a Chipotle Infused Olive Oil from our local shop, "The Tasteful Olive".  Check in your area, you may find a great little oil and vinegar boutique.  They are so wonderful for finding infused oils that add more depth to your dishes.  And we love to shop LOCAL when we can, right?  

Stay warm, and enjoy!!

-MamaFin




Some of the ingredients:




Santa Fe Chicken Tortilla Soup
INGREDIENTS:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp Chipotle Infused Olive Oil (or regular olive oil)
1 Green Pepper, chopped
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
Fajita Seasoning (I use Penzeys)
3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
3 cloves garlic, minced (I use my microplane)
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes with Lime & Cilantro
2 cans of Black Beans, drained & rinsed
5 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth, divided
Salt
Pepper

For Garnish:
Sour Cream
Tortilla Strips (the kind you get for salads, I like the Santa Fe style)
Cilantro, chopped 
Lime Wedge

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Drizzle chicken breasts with oil, then rub with Fajita seasoning on both sides.
  2. Pour 1 cup of chicken broth in bottom of Pressure Cooker insert, then place trivet in bottom.  Lay chicken breasts on top of trivet and lock Pressure Cooker.  Set to high pressure for 10-11 minutes, then a natural release.  Remove to cool.
  3. Shred chicken and set aside.
  4. In a large dutch oven, add 1 Tbsp of Chipotle Infused Olive Oil, onion and green pepper.  Saute until green peppers are slightly soft and onions are translucent.  
  5. Add in 1 Tbsp of fajita seasoning and stir to combine.
  6. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  7. Stir in tomato paste and cook until dark red, rusty brown (this brings out the wonderful flavor).
  8. Add Rotel, juice and all.  Then stir in shredded chicken.
  9. Pour in 4 cups of Chicken Broth and bring to simmer, stir well to get all of the fond (the tasty bits on the bottom of the pot).  Salt and pepper to taste.
  10. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
  11. Then add in black beans and bring to low simmer.
  12. Serve with a little sour cream, chopped cilantro, tortilla strips and a lime wedge.

Printable version:

Comments

Popular Posts